Tuesday, October 6, 2009

What I'm reading


Hate to say it, but the movie Julie & Julia prompted me to purchase Julia Child's book My Life in France. I liked the movie, enough to probably see it again when it comes out on DVD. Can't say I loved it though, but that had to do with the character of Julie's husband Eric. He ate like a pig and that completely turned me off. If I spend time and money and energy preparing a meal for my partner, I'd expect him to show me (and the meal) the respect of not cramming the food in his mouth like a caveman. I loved the Julia Child half of the film, because honestly, who else than Meryl Streep could have played Julia ? Brilliant !
Anyway, so after the movie, not only did I order the cookbooks, Mastering the Art of French Cooking, volumes 1 & 2, but one half of the inspiration for the movie, Julia's autobiographical book that she wrote with the help of Alex Prud'homme, her grand-nephew. The book is just like Julia : bubbly, delicious, romantic, lively. Makes me want to 1) cook, 2) eat, and 3) return to France ! Someone in my circle will be getting it at Christmas this year...

1 comment:

  1. C,
    I'm not sure if you want to be part of the Heavenly Bakers--I've noticed that you haven't baked any of the cakes yet, but that you do have the Heavenly Cake badge on your blog. If you still want to bake, just let me know. Otherwise, I can just take your name off the list.
    It sounds like your life is pretty hectic right now, so if you'd like to go off now and sign up again later, that's fine--whatever works for you.
    Marie

    ReplyDelete