Sunday, November 1, 2009

Meeting Rose !

Last week, I met Rose Levy Beranbaum. I always get nervous when meeting people who are important to me, and even more so when I stand out : out of the 40-something people present, I was one of maybe 5 men, and I was the tallest. I also tend to sweat a lot and babble which only adds to my awkwardness. And to top it all off, being a natural groupie, I came bearing gifts. My goals were to 1) not be disappointed in meeting a hero of mine ; 2) make it into Rose's blog and 3) not make a total fool out of myself. Done, done, and I think... done.

Here's a link to Rose's blog :


When I told her my name, she hesitated and then remembered me from having posted a comment on her blog concerning Nespresso coffee machines. I don't think she realized or remembered that I had previously posted several other times on several other topics, but who cares, right? I rang a bell ! She signed three books for me, one of which is for my sister in Switzerland. And we chatted for a while, actually. Almost 15 minutes, which seemed to annoy a lot of people.

All through her presentation I kept thinking at how funny and cool she really is. I had seen her on YouTube doing her demos and in interviews and always thought that she seemed shy and a little intimidated by the camera. But in person, and despite a crowd of almost fifty people, she joked a lot and seemed relaxed and totally at ease. Like the great teacher that she is. I didn't learn any new techniques or tips per se - I've read and seen almost everything from her - but I still consider that day as pivotal in my slow but sure journey to becoming professional baker.


1 comment:

  1. You're so lucky to meet Rose in person and chat with her for 15 mins! I'm still hoping to get an autograph from her! :)

    ReplyDelete