Thursday, September 17, 2009

Dramaaaaa !

Yesterday was my first dinner shift. Very interesting indeed... First of all I'll say that I much preferred the energy of an evening rush to that of a lunchtime shift. The anticipation of the rush of a full house and the fébrilité of the chefs reminded me a lot of my days working in the theatre on opening night. Except there's a lot more drama in a kitchen that in a theater, that is certain.
Let's start with the cook who totally dissed me : he was talking to another cook in front of me as I was changing, and he seemed quite unhappy with his employers for some reason. He said, among other things that management was basically a bunch of idiots because they "keep hiring people with no fucking experience and giving them the decent hours". I stayed silent, but when he left things got awkward. You know sometimes when you try to get out of someone's way but you just keep getting even more in the way, well that happened. And he just got even more irritated with me. Oh well, there is nothing I can do about him now except leave him be. You know, he should just suck it up because I have the strange feeling that I will one day get his resumé on my desk and will have a decision to make. Hmmm.
Next strange occurance was the fight thta nearly broke out between servers. In the kitchen, no less. Nothing to blog home about, just a clashing of egos, a broken wine glass and one pissed-off gay man. The other guy seemed to be flirting with me later one, but I think he got his feelings hurt and was looking for a sliver lining to his evening of humiliation. Oh, and later on when I left, he was arguning with the maître d' about an order that was placed too late and pissed off the kitchen staff. Except me, cause I was sent home, but just out of solidarity, I'll say I was pissed off.
Tonight I start work as host. And a severe back ache has me walking like Quasimodo. I'm pretty high on Motrin, and I hope to make it. I don't know what to expect tonight. Wish me luck !

No comments:

Post a Comment