Sunday, September 13, 2009

Grease is the word

Yesterday was day two. Exhausting.
Not really because of it being super busy, but just standing all day on a hard tiled floor. It is also so slippery that there is a constant tension in your legs from trying not to slip and fall.
It was an interesting day, though. There's the breakfast menu that I had to learn - not too complicated, there's only about 6 items on it.
But Saturday is also "Clean the deep-fryers day". Loads of greasy fun. But I won't complain too much, seeing as I'm not to work the kitchen on Saturdays anymore. My end-of-week shifts will be front of house as host. I'm glad I got to do less glamorous tasks (such as cleaning the fryers) because I now have a greater appreciation for the person who gets to do it every Saturday.
Another task was to make fries : literally cut potates into fries and soak them. Don't worry,we don't peel and cut by hand, there's an aparatus. Then take the previously soaked potatoes and blanch them for 2-3 minutes in the fryer and then refrigerate them. I'm thinking most of these fries will have been eaten last night during the dinner shift.
Hope the customers (and chefs) were happy with the fries because B told me when I got home that when he worked in a kitchen, blanching the fries was a very important thing that could seriously affect the quality of the fry. I'll be sure to inquire tomorrow.

Today is my only day off. Tomorrow I start at 7am.
When you haven't gone to work in a while, this is quite a challenge.
Note to self, buy multivitamins.

No comments:

Post a Comment