Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Ego Salad Sandwich

My performance in the kitchen is improving. At least I think so. Lunch yesterday was busy, and I really feel I stepped up. We had two "newbies" with us. Actually, both are trained cooks and one actually works at another branch and was transferred to ours. Things got awkward when they learned that I have no experience whatsoever. I didn't help matters when I "corrected" one of them who had made a horrible-looking salad. Anyway, they hardly spoke to me all day long, almost ignoring me when I finished work and bade them a good evening. I've been warned that the restaurant business if full of egos : the kitchen staff, servers, sommeliers. After having been all my life watching from afar, I now have a front row seat at this business that is truly tough.

I'm working evenings till the end of the week. Tonight is my first dinner shift in the kitchen, and tomorrow will be my first night as host. Actually it will be a first for the restaurant as the host position is one that they - we- are creating. My job, as i understand it, will be to greet patrons upon arrival and man the reservations. I just don't know if I'll be replacing or working the maître-d'. I know that my attire will be different from the servers' : I get to wear all black and a tie of my choosing. I'm thinking black so as to not draw too much attention to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment