Saturday, September 12, 2009

Intro

Just on the heels of the movie Julia & Julia, I expect many people will be starting blogs and wanting to become cooks, chefs, and food writers thinking "If Julia Child became a chef after 40, so can I" or "I'll start writing a blog, and then get it made into a book /movie ".
I'm not one of those people - just like I wasn't one those people ordering a Cosmo in 2001 when Sex and the City was on, even though I loved both.
However, I am 34, and I do want to become a chef and food writer, and I have no professional experience in either. But for record, and in my defense, I had these goals way before the movie ever came out. Just ask my therapist.

Now, just to "set the table" so to speak, know that I am an interior designer, and I haven't worked in a year. Partly due to the economic crisis, partly due to the fact that I took time off to re-think my professional goals and aspirations. I've always loved cooking, baking, and eating, and I was always envious of people who actually had a passion for their jobs. People who enjoyed going to work each morning, braving the monotony and the same old faces day after day for years. My record at the sme job is two years. And generally after a year, I get bored.

I had always figured these people's motivations were Prozac-induced, but then I thought that maybe the problem was... me ! Maybe I could be like these people if only I did what I loved.

Well, good luck finding a good paying job in the restaurant business without experience. I approached caterers, restaurants, kitchen supply stores - nothing. Except for one. A French-bistro-type chain place not too far from my apartment who were willing to give me a shot and who appeared to be sympathic to my cause.
I was hired on the spot.
Seeing as I want to learn all that I possibly can about the restaurant business in an extremely short period of time, I am filling two positions : chef's assistant and host.
I started yesterday in the kitchen.
It was... greasy. And slippery (have to wear better shoes). But it was fun. At one point I was chopping parsley and I thought to myself I'm actually getting paid to do this? I actually got to meet the grand owner who knew my name !

Today is day two, again in the kitchen. Breakfast shift.




No comments:

Post a Comment